Sunday, September 19, 2010

Far Away from Where I Started

"Even though we 've changed and we're all finding our own place in this world, we all know that when the tears fall or the smile spreads across our face, we'll come to each other because no matter where this crazy world takes us, nothing will ever change so much to the point where we're not all still friends."
~Unknown

Shortly after graduating from college, fate led me to my first "real" job in the corporate world. Each morning, I'd get up ready to fight the good fight, coffee in hand, no smile. I'd go off to make decisions about things that didn't really seem to matter, always questioning if this was really the best I could do. Two and a half years ago, I decided to leave the corporate world in search of an enriching organization that believed in people as much as I do. And as my luck would have it, I was led straight back to the very arches I walked out of 4 years ago as a proud graduate. I was back and on a mission to give everything to the community and people I had missed so much.

It didn't take long to realize the short term effects of trading the big city life for a small community. Before I knew it, nearly everyone in a small community knows you and deems you unforgettable.  This concept was, and still is, a little overwhelming. Especially considering that in my corporate life, management went out of their way to promote self sufficiency through a variety of resources. They even handed out kits to be used in case of an emergency. Yes, that's right. In case of a fire, terrorist attack, or other emergency, the new directive was to save yourself.. and no one else.

Needless to say,  it now seems silly that I stole the "Personal Safeness Tube" from my corporate desk just in case there was an emergency and someone forgot to rescue me. A "Personal Safeness Tube" includes a whistle, glow stick, face mask, a ketchup-like packet filled with water, "simple" directions for use and maybe a Band-Aid. I questioned the functionality of the "Personal Safeness Tube" while at my desk on the 13th floor of a skyscraper, and I have no idea what I was thinking in leaving it on my desk in my new job; my new life. Yet it still sits on my desk as a reminder of where I came from and how blessed I am to be where I am today.

Then, the reality of departmental politics set in and I realized that maybe I really would have to use it to rescue myself. The funny thing is, I still have no idea how to save myself using only the contents of a "Personal Safeness Tube." Maybe I need to bring this question to my friends in housing. They're great problem solvers. Do incoming freshman get a "Personal Safeness Tube"?

The stories in this blog are true, but the names and some of the circumstances have been altered to protect the identities of those involved. I hope that in sharing some wisdom and a few laughs you'll be inspired to be the super hero you are when no one is looking.

AbHb

No comments:

Post a Comment