Thursday, September 30, 2010

Like Magic...

"What we provide is an atmosphere... of orchestrated pulse which works on people in a subliminal way.  Under its influence I've seen shy debs and severe dowagers kick off their shoes and raise some wholesome hell." 
~Meyer Davis, about his orchestra

Dear Board Member,

Thanks again for asking me to join the board. I thought of something that I meant to share, but it completely slipped my mind. Too much time spent with absent minded professors I guess. It was initially an episode of Sesame Street that inspired me to play the violin. The letter of the day was "V" (for violin) and that was it. I absolutely had to play the violin. Once I had outgrown Sesame Street and had begun playing the violin in school, I discovered MVO. I became enthralled with their ability to turn boring notes on a page into beautiful music. It was like magic. Pure magic. And the members of MVO, or at that time MVCO, very quickly became my heroes. I wanted to be a magician, too.

I never in a million years would have guessed that I would have grown up to become an "MVO magician" nonetheless be asked to join the board. Assisting in the task of ensuring that others have the opportunity to be inspired like I was, and continue to be, are big shoes to fill. But it is the least I can do to give back. With that said, it means so much to be a part of this. More than you know. A little intimidating considering that some of the people on the board, and in the orchestra, are ones that I so highly regarded as magicians and heroes. I am still convinced I will be absolutely lost without Ed, the leader of the magicians. But I look forward to being a part of continuing his legacy long after he has retired.

PS. A letter of thanks will also be sent to Sesame Street as I'd imagine they'd be just as proud of my accomplishments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3richcoCUI

Needless to say, one should not shy away from the use of magic to inspire others. Well, let's rephrase that. Do not shy away from the use of magic to inspire others as long as your magic trick doesn't involve the use of sharp knives, swords, and/or  large animals with big teeth. Remember, if the risk outweighs the benefit, find a different magic trick or select the right pep talk from your "pep talk" file. Everyone has a file on their computer labeled, "pep talks" right??

As a side note, it never occurred to me that my new role as Secretary on the board would require me to be serious. Something I haven't practiced in quite some time; nor do I really know anyone to look to for serious face advice. It seems that I work in the department of all things serious so maybe I just need to take a look around. There are probably some great looks to choose from.  Or, I could follow Pablo's example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx-wQywcIGY&feature=related

A girl in love with the letter V grows up to be a classical violinist turned magician and Poof! now is being nominated to serve on the board of directors? Now, THAT'S magic....

 Abracadabra...

AbHb

No comments:

Post a Comment