Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Place to Hang My Coat

"A few years' experience will convince us that those things which at the time they happened we regarded as our greatest misfortunes have proved our greatest blessings."
~George Mason

Dear Father Malone,

Thank you so much for the gift. As someone who rarely wins anything, I was thrilled to know my name had been called. So thrilled, in fact, that as I carried the box back to my table, I couldn’t help but think how lucky I was to have won something so sacred. How often does one actually win a "blessed wall hanging" for their home or office?

As I carried the big sacred box back to the table, I wondered where I’d hang such a large item that had been blessed by a priest and what it was that had been blessed. Everyone at my table was in awe of this large, sacred package I’d won; undoubtedly blessed by “the” Father Malone. “Is it a picture of Jesus that Father Malone blessed!?” they asked, “Or is it a crucifix?!”  

With pure excitement, I opened the box. It was not a framed picture of Jesus Christ, nor was it a crucifix. It was quite literally the word “blessed” carved out of wood; with coat hooks attached.

So while the gift itself was not literally sacred, it in many ways still remains as a sacred reminder of how blessed I am to have received the gift of community; and I now, needless to say, have a “sacred” place to hang my coat.

Thank you,
AbHb

No comments:

Post a Comment